Singapore Zoo

>> Thursday, November 26, 2009


Singapore Zoo is one of the best I have ever been to. It's very very hands on and often, you forget you are even IN a zoo. It's very natural and you can tell they have worked hard to bring you into the animal's natural environment and not the other way around. The other thing you notice is that there are a lot of things that you can do that you can't do in the states. I believe that lawsuits aren't as common here and that would be the reason..sad but true. Vicky..I still love ya anyway..lol

We happened upon a place where you could feed elephants. There weren't many kids there so Raelee got to spend a lot of time with her Asian friends (she pointed out that they were Asian Elephants and not African.)  She REALLY enjoyed this!!!






We ate breakfast by the Orangutan's and got to get up close and personal with them  (thanks for setting this up mom!)




Does this picture surprise anyone?



This picture is for my nursing/former nursing friends....nature at it's best.



We got to see Polar Bears...I think this is my first time seeing them. Did you know that their fur is clear and that it appears white in the wild because the snow reflects off of it? I didn't know that. I found it interesting.






Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!



Just hangin out!!



This was an odd feeling here...riding the elephant...very unsteady..and a little unnerving.  I am glad I did it with her though. I remember riding an elephant and a camel as a child at the New Orleans zoo...I'm glad I got to experience it as an adult too.



Saw a water monitor in the wild at the zoo...lol


A lot of the monkey's were 'free range' at this zoo. They could come down and greet you if they wanted to...but I never saw one do it. These guys were right over the pathway we were walking on.


Pettin Pony's


Ridin Pony's



They had a children's area in the back that had a 'spray' park....the best I have ever seen. We weren't prepared so Raelee got down to her under bottoms (t-shirt and shorts) and had a BLAST





Granny found this neat bird..a little bigger than a hummingbird. I'm glad she showed it to me. It was beautiful and had a beautiful sound.


They had a lot of team building exercises back there too (a big thing here in Sinapore). They start them young on them. Raelee had fun with this one.


Zip line anybody?



Loved all of the orangutans lined up for photo ops.




Elephant show was the best I had ever seen!





We still have to go back to the zoo for a night safari and hopefully to feed the giraffe's...wish us luck!


4 comments:

Noelle Reese,  November 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

Maybe I'll tell Carlee that only monkey's nurse and wean her that way??? LMAO
Awesome pics and I am going to tell you once more. QUIT letting your child hold nasty snakes! LOL
LN

Elizabeth,  November 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

LOL N. Steph, I did know that piece of info about the Polar Bears fur being clear. Amazingly enough I think I learned on a Jacque COusteau special when I was a kid. One of the useless pieces of trivia in my head. Love the zoo pics and Raelee is growing up so fast it is unreal. I am so glad you all are getting this experience with your parents! Love you all!

Rycon Payne,  November 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Something about this post just highlights that Raelee is in a foreign paradise. It's sweet and touching, this is an experience she'll remember for the rest of her life.

Alex,  November 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

Night safari??? Ohhh I want to go! Sadly I already knew about the polar bear fur because my ex-step-dad bought a polar bear rug from some guy and it was hanging on the wall for a long time :(

I wish that zoos were that open here, they re-did the San Francisco zoo so that it's a more natural habitat with very large enclosures that don't feel like enclosures, but you certainly can't get that close.

That rainbow boa was beautiful, so was the albino boa that I saw her holding in another picture. Snakes are super soft, will she get to have one when she gets home?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP