Cinnamon Pulp Art

>> Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mom needed to go pick up a nativity scene she had ordered and we rode along with her. She took us to this run little shop in the middle of a 'repair shop' warehouse district. You had to know about this place to go to it. It wasn't like he was in a shop in the middle of Chinatown or anything like that.


These figurines are made from the pulp of a cinnamon tree. It doesn't smell like cinnamon at all (much to my dismay), but their beauty well makes up for that.

It was very neat to see this dying art. It's dying so much so that I can't find any links about it online. I know I'm searching for the wrong thing and as soon as I produce some, I'll post them here.

The owner was happy to show us how he made the figurines. He also took time with Raelee and let her make her own ornaments. I thought that was very special. She made 3 that I know she will treasure forever.

I bought a bunch of ornaments for family and friends. I wished I had loved one of the figurines he had b/c I would have bought it just to support him. Nothing stood out to me though.

Here are some pictures of some of the things he has made: 



Gingerbread house:


























These were in their painting room...waiting to be painted.


These were already painted. I like them unpainted better.






We are having our Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have some stories to tell about that with so many people from so many countries that will be here.

4 comments:

Noelle Reese,  November 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

I have never heard of it! It is very pretty though. People there are so kind to let R do everything she had done. I wish people in the US would slow down a little and be kind like that! :-)
LN

applesofgold,  November 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Wow! I had never ever heard of this...it's amazing! I really hope that we get an ornament!!!! beautiful works of masterpiece!

Alex,  November 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Wow, those are way cool... are they hardened, are they easily broken? Do they feel like just regular wood, or? I really liked the unpainted ones too, I don't know about those neon colors :( The intricacy is astounding.

Leone Fabre,  November 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

what a great experience for you both, the figurines are beautiful and certainly nice to have as a memento.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP