So you want me to be Adventurous?

>> Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I can't tell you how many times I have had people (friends..lol) in the states tell me how fun it'll be to be able to try new foods. Obviously they don't know me to well. I don't try new dishes at the same resturaunts I go to. I rarely try new resturaunts at all and when I do I order something 'safe'. I don't like new flavors. I DESPISE ginger and curry.  I'm in Asia...ginger and curry is all they know how to cook with here.  I have also learned that things are not always as they seem. You may go to a 'western' resturarunt but 9 times out of 10, they put an asian flair to it. So even if you think you are ordering 'bbq'd chicken', it's probably got SOMETHING about it that is asian.

The foods have been the hardest thing for me to get used to here. I really wish you could smell these pictures...the food courts that I took these in. The first couple of days here, it was everything I could do not to vomit at the smells.

Raelee is funny....at home, if she can order spaghetti, she is fine..she can eat anywhere. Here, it's fried rice. If either of us don't see fried rice for a year, we'll probably be just fine.

My favorite meals here have been McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, Chili's, the Hawker Stand (mom has found a good place there to order that you can ask for it with no ginger), and Mom's cooking. Now..I must say that even mom and dad cooking is a gamble. Their cooking is always good, but the meat isn't always the best and you are at the mercy of whatever the meat may taste like. Dad cooked hamburgers that had the texture of a fine grit sand paper...not his fault...just bad meat.

So here are some pictures for you. I wish you could smell it..really, I do. Maybe you would understand why my favorite meals have mostly been American fast food.















7 comments:

Leone Fabre,  December 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

feel for you .... I really do.

must be hard when you encounter THE smells, must admit, some of the smells have me thinking twice about ordering a meal here ... and I am adventurous!!!

Bec,  December 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

Oh I totally understand! That is, in fact, one reason that the only country I've been to outside of my own has been Mexico... I'm an extremely picky eater, and my stomach is even pickier!
I have been loving these updates. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

applesofgold,  December 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Okay, so maybe I wouldn't try the fungus....lol, but the rest of it! I really think I would! I am pretty adventurous...but not if I have to cook it myself. I wish I could smell it too!Someone should really come up with a scratch and sniff blog.

Noelle Reese,  December 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

Ewwww, I now want to vomit. I would try to think about the weight I would be loosing LOL I would also put perfume on my finger so I could put my finger under my nose LOL
LN

Alex,  December 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

mmmmm... almond paste with white fungus, how could you pass that up?

they should film "biggest loser" there...

Anonymous,  December 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

When I am with a Singaporian that knows what to order and how it should be eaten, the food is usually quite good. Of coarse there is some of it I just will not eat.

Dad

Elizabeth,  December 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Steph,
Don't feel bad, I could not do it either. I gag on fish of any kind. I managed to eat some fried shrimp with your mom and dad one time, but had a bad asthma attack and while I don't mind fried shrimp so much, and even crave it occasionally (yuck), I just do not like it enough to have asthma trouble. But I hate trying new foods. That is a fact. Hope you don't lose TOO much weight!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP