Fond memories

>> Wednesday, March 31, 2010

2 years ago today my Father in Law died. He was a wonderful man that had nothing but the best for his family in mind. Raelee was the light of his life...he couldn't have been more proud of her.

Something very strange happened to me today. I couldn't find the battery to my point and shoot camera. I never recall taking it out...I never take it out. But...it wasn't there. I have searched high and low for it today for our beach trip tomorrow.

I went to look for Raelee's little camera just to have something with us tomorrow that isn't a pro camera. I couldn't find it either...but right where her camera has been sitting was another camera I had completely forgot about...Todd's dad's old camera that we inherited after he passed. Sweet! I was excited. I start loading new batteries in it and turn it on. I hit play to make sure Raelee hadn't gotten ahold of it and snapped pics of her own on it.

Nope...what a surprise to find pictures from one of the last fun nights we had with Gary before he passed.   We were there for Christmas/New Years.  Out of the blue, he insisted we have a New Years Eve party...completely random for him to do.  Raelee had a BLAST. We marched around in a circle for the longest time singing and laughing and blowing our horns. Everytime somebody slowed down, Gary would yell "MARCH" again...so we marched.  We all had fun...even though Todd mocked it the entire time, I hope his memory of the event is as fond as mine is.  I really think he knew his time was coming to and end and he wanted to create one last good memory for us...and he did.

I cried and cried when I looked at those pictures...knowing that Raelee will never truely remember her Grandpa.  She DOES remember this night though...one of her only memories of her Grandpa...oh yeah, and playing basketball in the garage with him and dancing with Choco right after..lol

It is just so odd that I have had this camera for over a year..maybe longer..and have never turned it on. I chose today to turn it on and only b/c I can't find the battery for the other camera (that I don't think I took out.)
Nothing but stars in her eyes for her Grandpa!





Todd is thrilled, can you tell?


And this picture.....does this picture not wrap up his entire life?  I love that expression on his face...it is one he gave often..mostly when he was rolling his eyes in a good natured way about something smart a$$ that I said to him. He loved picking back and forth with me and I loved picking with him. 


We miss you a lot Gary

*photography by Gary...except for the last one, I told him we needed to make sure to let everybody know he was there that night. I am so glad I took it*

3 comments:

Leone Fabre,  March 31, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

Fabulous!!!

what a great post to share.

cajunsis,  April 1, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

God works in mysterious ways. Yes, Gary was a hoot and I miss him too. Rest in peace Gary - you touched someone's very soul today :-) Thumbs up for that one.

Working Through,  April 3, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

You have been given a Virtual Easter Basket, please visit my blog and spread the love ! ;-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP