The results of the 'Great Egg Soak" and more

>> Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Raelee was quite disappointed to see that soaking in vinegar overnight most certainly didn't produce a baby chick.  She was interested to see that the outter shell of the egg had disentegrated.  The egg was now soft. We were able to study the membrane that protects the egg and also the air sac.  It was a neat experiment. We are now leaving it exposed to air overnight once again...to see what happens to the soft shell.
The egg started out a brown egg...now you can see that the brown shell is gone..leaving the white boiled egg (we also learned that the white part of an egg is called the "albumen") under it.



Next we ATTEMPTED to float an egg in the middle of the water.  It kinda worked...just kinda. The idea is that you take a glass of salt water and gently pour fresh water in it. You then lower the egg into the water. The egg is lighter in salt water than it is in fresh water. So the salt water is on the bottom. It is supposed to float on top of the salt water and sink in fresh water. I need to play with this one a bit more to get it to work.


What would studing about eggs be without a little bit of egg dying? We talked a little bit about mixing colors to achieve another color and adding more color to get a more dramatic look. We might take those same eggs today and try some batik dying. We shall see what the day brings.

And last but not least...proof that my baby is growing up. She went to a friends house today and she told me "I want to walk all by myself." Thankfully this friend lives very very close to us. I was on the phone with her mom and Raelee got to walk.  She walked down 2 houses, crossed a street (that I have seen maybe 1 car there in that intersection in the last 3 weeks..little to no traffic..but she got to practice crossing a street), walk down another 2 houses and turn a corner. My friend was in her driveway and watched her walk down another 2 houses to her house. It is really quite convenient and makes the girls feel so grown up when they can walk to a friends house by themselves (the friend comes down here a lot too quite the same way Raelee goes to hers.) This is a very poor picture...but I wanted to share. Here she is on her journey with Kaya (American girl doll) and Penny (AG horse.) I need to prepare better next time so that I can get a better picture.

2 comments:

Elizabeth,  January 6, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Awwww, she is growing so fast!

Working Through,  January 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

Oh you are so brave. I cried so hard the first time my oldest, Mahria (now 21) walked to a friends alone.

They should stay babies forever.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP