To build a nest

>> Tuesday, January 19, 2010



Continuing on our bird unit.  We talked about birds nests last week and how birds used whatever was around them for their nests. I was reading a friends nature crafts book and saw a box that you put birds nest materials in it for the birds. Timing couldn't have been more perfect!  We did just that...made a bird nest materials box out of a recycled milk carton.

A wise woman once told me that a child can do anything if you give them the proper tools and knowledge to do it. So, I gave my daughter a serrated knife to cut through the milk carton. She cut a little door and wanted to stop. She decided a milk carton would be the perfect fairy box. I had to convince her that Mrs. Steph would loan her another milk carton to make a fairy house and maybe her a Ms. Seven could do it together.




She has been collecting materials for a couple of weeks. She had added spanish moss, cypress leaves, dryer lint, cat fur, human hair, string, ribbon, easter grass, dryer sheets, etc. She added this to her milk carton.


We also got an onion bag (with onion skins still in it), and stuffed it full too.


We walked outside and decided where to hang them. We decided that we would put it in a tree below the birdhouse in our backyard. More on this birdhouse later. I actually think I'll end up moving the bag and carton b/c it's behind the playhouse and I can't see them at all. I think I want to see them so we know they are getting used.
 

 

 

Daddy is even doing his part...this is the screen to his shop. The birds were working on it last year..one string at a time. I imagine there are some pretty wiry nests up in that house.
 

Back to the bird house. This birdhouse is one of my most prized possessions. My dad (middle picture..lol) made it 2 years ago. It was his 'stop smoking project'. He was a HARD CORE smoker. I don't have many pictures of him and Raelee (until she was 4) that he doesn't have a cigarette in his hand or mouth.  He stopped smoking cold turkey. In order to keep his hands busy, he made 4 birdhouses.  I got one of them. To this day, I get tears in my eyes when I talk about the birdhouse.

All of the surrounding neighbors also love my birdhouse. I have had SO many compliments on it and how happy it makes them to see all of the Purple martins in it and flying around it and the joyful music that came with it.

I truly believe this birdhouse saved my dad's life.  I think the birds appreciate it too. ;) Please enlarge this picture to appreciate it fully.
 


4 comments:

Noelle Reese,  January 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing the birdhouse story. It is one of the best stories ever! I sure wish my Mom could have quit!
LN
PS I almost forgot, R's birdhouses look fantastic! I can't wait to hear what the birds think. :-)

cajunsis,  January 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

I think it saved your dad's life too. I am still amazed that he had the strength to do that and so proud of him for doing so. I love the story board :-)

I can't wait to hear about pR's success with the nest makin's. Yes, indeed put them in sight. Thank you for having the courage to let her use the knife - she did awesome.

Noelle Reese,  January 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Look at the stamp set that was just released today:
http://www.artisticoutpost.com/birdsoffeather1.html This would be quite handy for scrapping your lessons. :-)
LN

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP