Cliff Dwelllings in Colorado Springs
>> Wednesday, July 1, 2009
I wanted to get some educational stuff in on our trip. I found this cliff dwelling site in Colorado Springs. I remember my mom and dad bringing me to one similar (but bigger) in Colorado somewhere and loved it then. Raelee couldn't get enough of it! She ran through the dwellings and had fun exploring. She asked lots of questions about the homes and how they lived. It was fun watching her soak it all in.
This is the oven that they cook in. Looking at it, it looks like they still do it maybe for demo purposes?
This is the entire front of the cliff dwellings. Not very big.
My Mother in Law, Ruthanne.
The smaller pegs were used for drying out meats and hides. The bigger pegs...I don't remember what they were for. You can barely see the smaller ones though.
The view from the dwellings.
My perfect princess :)
The front door. They were either really short or really flexible I think.


I went around to get out....I didn't take this route...obviously.
I love seeing the different layers of clay here.
Their meeting room.
The holes on the side to the right were steps to the top floor door which is at the top. Could you imagine?
Ummm...I can't remember what this is. Can anybody read the plaque?
Petroglyphs...Similar to hieroglyphics I think.
Raelee thought this was a bit funny.
What I found amusing was that this whole place was bought by somebody and moved to this site. I couldn't imagine moving all of these structures!

2 comments:
We went to the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings when you were young - they are huge. Here is the website: http://www.nps.gov/archive/meve/home.htm
It was a wonderful experience and I am glad you remember it - I always wonder if what we did made an impression. I think it might have :-)
pR looks like she is having a blast. I am so glad you made this trip. Need more pictures of you :-)
How awesome is that??!?!?!?
Those photos are amazing....looks like you guys had a great...and educational....time! :)
Post a Comment