Subtraction

>> Monday, February 16, 2009


I have said it before and I'll say it many more times I'm sure...but Raelee loves math. She doesn't KNOW she loves it, but she does. She is so good at it (in my opinion..lol). I introduced subtraction to her today. She had it down with one example. Now..she can't do it without the manipulatives or a story picture of some kind, but she can do it. I know the rest will come with time and practice.
We were playing a game. She would ask me how to add something I would write the problem down and the answer. Then I would ask her and she would do it. She thought the game was a blast...I was just glad that she was having fun with math..rofl We also did it in the car on the way to gymnastics. I would ask Raelee a math problem and we would 'draw' a story picture to go along with it (in our heads), and she would tell me the answer. Then she would do the same to me and I would tell HER the answer. Then I would ask Madison how many ears she had, how many noses, fingers, etc. It was great.
Here is a picture of our game we were playing in homeschool. It was Raelee's idea at that!

Here is how you build a problem with the rods in our math program (Math U See). It works really well and Raelee totally 'gets' it with this method.
Today was a great homeschooling day. I'm finding that the afternoon school time REALLY works for Raelee. I can keep her engaged for 2 hours or more. I was lucky to get an hour out of her in the mornings. I'm finding that the 2 hours is a lot more productive also. Not a lot of fighting her (except for reading of course). She's even getting better in reading. We are working on the bl, cl, pl blend right now. She's picking up on it pretty quick and her comprehension is much better than before. She is getting better at going back and reading the whole sentence that she just sounded out and see what it really said. We are are also working on punctuation (how your voice sounds for question marks, exclamation marks, etc). She's pretty good at that.

All in all, school is going great and we are really enjoying it.

1 comments:

cajunsis,  February 17, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Jeremy did much better in the afternoon classes than morning. There is a man that teaches "Where there is a will there is an A" and one comment he said was that some kids are morning kids - that is when they should do their homework. Some kids are night kids - night homework. It is a much smoother ride when you get that :-)

I am proud of punkin'. Tell her granny loves her and misses her.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP