We have our first egg!!!

>> Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's a happy day at our house! We spent a couple of weeks feeling like the 'girls' were very close to laying. They were making little nests in their hay, they were getting VERY vocal and they are just the right age (coming up on 20 weeks). I went and got a nesting box and modified it to fit what we needed. I put hay in it and we waited....and waited...and waited. Raelee faithfully went out up to 5 times a day to check. She taught the chickens WHERE to lay (much to their dismay). She talked to them. She demonstrated how they would lay that egg. And she waited.  I told her they were waiting on Grandma to get here....turns out, that's what it was. Grandma is here, and they start laying! How fun! I wish you could have heard her squeal when she found it. She was SOOO happy. She ran round in circles. I was afraid she would break the egg.  She didn't...and we ate it..and it was SO good!

I found this one up on the grill today..thought it was funny.

First egg!!!!

She would NOT eat it until she took it to show her best friend, who was equally as excited as she was.  We made a nest for it and bicycled it over there. Then she showed several other friends too. Very cute.

After the trip around the neighborhood, we boiled it up and attempted to peel it (not so easy with a VERY fresh egg). I used all of the 'fresh egg' tricks I had up my sleeve...and we still lost some of the outer part of the egg.

We split it up and shared it. Even the dogs got a tiny piece of yolk. It was very yummy.  We are so happy!
Todd's theory is that that will be the ONLY egg we get. He thinks that the rest of the chickens took one look at that and decided they want no part of that..rofl  We hope he is wrong!

1 comments:

cajunsis,  August 11, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

How funny! I am so glad they are finally laying! She has waited so long for that. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP