Sometimes, you just have to change your pace
>> Thursday, September 9, 2010
I started off this homeschool day with the best of intentions....really, I did. I could tell immediately that it was not going to be a good learning day. Little did I know!! I put up the math, I put up the spelling, and I took out our "6 minute Science Experiments" book:
I quickly found one that I had all of the ingredients for and I set up shop in the kitchen. I called Raelee away from her math and we did an experiment. She had fun, and learned, and daddy had a beer...all in the name of science!
First we told Daddy that we needed a 'long neck bottle'. Daddy gives all of his 'long neck bottles' to our dear friend to brew his beer and wine...and yes...we get some of the sweet yumminess in return (he, by the way, makes the best wine I have tasted in my life!) So Daddy was slap out of long neck bottles. Whatever shall we do? Never fear, Daddy came to the rescue. He emptied one with the speed of lightening! Hey...it was 5:00 somewhere right?
So, we learned that baking soda and vinegar have a chemical reaction and it happens immediately and it blew up our balloon with gasses.
Now we get to try yeast and hydrogen peroxide. Never heard of this one before, but hey..I'm game!
They had a chemical reaction, but it happened slowly....and with not as much gas as the baking soda and vinegar. Interesting!
After the experiment clean up, she got to sew a frog puppet that Grandma gave her with her froggy unit study. She had a blast doing this and is looking forward to the rest of the puppets in the pack.
Couldn't go without a Buster pic could we? I always hear "Momma can you take a picture of us?" A few minutes before this, I heard her whisper loudly to him "Buster, I'm so glad you love me and I'm glad I love you too." Melt my heart!
She finished off the day (after soccer practice and piano practice!) with a bit of reading. She read 2 chapters all by herself from "Who Stole Norton". I wish there were more than 4 books in this series. She adores them.
She also did TWO rounds on her addition flash cards (her idea!!!) She is whipping right through them and only gets hung up a couple of times. She will have that American Girl game in no time I think (She is guessing a week, I'm guessing much sooner!) The stack on the right is the ones she knows very quickly, the stack on the left is ones she has left to learn...and about half of those are doubles, so she really only needs to learn half of that stack! Go Raelee! I wish I could get a picture of her face when she nails a 'hard one' like 9 + 6.








3 comments:
It sounds like a very productive and refreshing (for Todd) day. I love that she is doing so well in Math. My mom would have been proud. She loved numbers! Great post. Love catching up with you.
Go Raelee! Keep up the good work with your math and read, read, read!
I am very proud of Todd for being totaly selfless by going above and beyound for Raelee's education, I know it was tough emptying that bottle!
I love that math book too, bu my daughter hates it. But I definitely see the progress though.
We gave up on the week, and somehow we've managed to do all sorts of fun stuff, from making laundry detergent to making playdough. Lots of fraction work, and so much fun. Gotta love those "throwaway" days!
Post a Comment