We recently started a new science curriculum that I think we are going to love. It's very 'project' based and has a cohesive flow to it. The science (written into the MFW Adventures) that we were 'using' (used loosely because we weren't really following it) didn't flow for us and it drove me nuts. This R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is great because it flows nicely. You do 2 labs per week and they all seem fun and not much prep work.
We are doing Life Science right now. It is right up Raelee's alley and it's the perfect time of year to be doing these things. Today, we called up a friend (who is also doing Real Science Odyssey) and asked her if she wanted to do the 'lab' with us today. The girls had a BLAST today! We examined 'one small square' of land that was probably 2 yards squared. The girls had a lab sheet to fill out. They had to note 7 living things and 7 non living things..among other things. I asked them before we got started if they would be able to find all of the living and non living things in their square. Neither of them thought they could. Let's see....did they?
 |
| Looking closely and taking notes |
 |
| Great project to use our magnifying glass! |
 |
| Comparing notes |
 |
| We couldn't write this little guy down. He was just the other side of their square. |
 |
| Thinking hard. This was hard for Raelee. She wanted completely different answers from her friend. However, there was only so much they could come up with that was unique. |
 |
| This guy never ventured into our square either...but it was sure fun watching him! He was looking for a handout. |
 |
| This 'little' lady was too. Think think she might be expecting. What do you think? The girls were amazed at how tall she was when she stood up. |
|
This is Raelee's lab sheet. I was quite proud of her spelling (she needed a little help, but not much.) She does have misspellings on there, but I let those go b/c we haven't gone over those 'rules' for spelling yet. Those that are close to us will see the HUGE improvement in her handwriting, reversals, and spelling. Just 2 months of VT. I'm sold. By the time she got to the drawing, her friend was long since done and she didn't want to take time with the pictures.
 |
| When they were finished, they got to feed the goats. We are all goat lovers so this was super fun for us. |
 |
| Dancing in the evening sun. I would love to be a kid again sometimes! |
 |
| These two are forever friends. I loved watching them from a distance, sharing stories and secrets. |
 |
| You're IT!!! |
 |
| Of course, we picked up trash on our way out to the car. The girls picked up around 25 pieces of 'evidence of humans visiting'. They felt good about themselves that they did that. |
So far, we are enjoying the curriculum. This is only our second lab with it, but we are looking forward to much more! It's great for my science minded child. We may not have done formal science much, but I think she gets a lot from the monarchs growing in the back yard, the veggie garden, the worm studies, the owl studies, etc. She gets plenty. I was just reading for something a little more formal. I think it fits us.
1 comments:
Gorgeous shots!
- Claire
Post a Comment