Morning in the garden

>> Wednesday, March 23, 2011

There is nothing I like more than spending the first 30 minutes to an hour  of every morning in my garden.  I dead-head the flowers in Raelee's garden, I pop off suckers from the tomato plants, I count seedlings and try to identify those that I have no idea what they are, I pluck weeds, and I inspect every leaf for unwanted critters or evidence of them.  Much to my surprise this morning, I found a milkweed FULL of Monarch Larvae.  We had bought it last year so that we could order monarch's.  Guess we won't have to do that now!!! There are at least 10 larvae, and at least 100 eggs.  We are beyond thrilled with them. I feel like a new mommy!!!

They are around 1/4 inch long at this point.


Love how the sun looks on the dew drops on the tomato plant.

I always enjoy the morning chatter of the Purple Martins.  I wish you could see the purple in them when the sun hits it just right. I can't ever get it on camera though.



And last but not least....baby Satsuma's.  So fun!!!

2 comments:

cajunsis,  March 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Your father will tell you I did the same thing. Only I think I spent hours out there... I love the gardens, new life, the birds and... well, I love it all. The bird houses... they are precious. Two very special purposes and we both know how important one of them was. Your monarch critters are awesome! Won't you have to give a few away? Your little plant doesn't seem big enough to host them all. Go to Rita's and see if she has a larger one! Great job, great pics and great post! Gonna be 'there' in my garden again someday.

Jasen Fontaine,  March 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP