Sewing today :)
>> Saturday, July 17, 2010
I had a hankering to sew today so that I did. :) I worked on the quilt for kids. I was so scared to start it, but I only had to call my friend once and she was able to talk me right through what I had a question about. I have never done a border before so i just couldn't figure it out in my head. Turns out it was very easy. The next step is the batting (have to wait till Monday to buy some...love living in a small town) and the backing and quilting. I'm terrified of quilting....really. I want to drop my feed dogs and quilt like that (can't remember what that's called). I don't know if I'll try it or not. I messed up the quilting on the quilt I made for my mom...I wasn't really happy with the way it turned out, but I was in a hurry and I couldn't take the time to do what I had pictured in my head. I'll try again on this one. Anyway..here is the quilt front...I'm pretty happy with it. I could have done without getting princesses, but that's what they gave me. I was hoping for boy prints since I don't get to work with those much. Maybe next time. :)
I wasn't ready to be done sewing when I was done with the quilt front. A couple of weeks ago we went to garage sales and I saw a nursing cover that I fell in love with. No, I have no need for a nursing cover but my friend has shown me how to see things from a different point of view. Things don't need to be used as intended. I immediately thought of panels for a skirt for Raelee..but we all know that Raelee isn't hurting for clothes. The next thing that came to mind is an apron. I got it for $1...thinking I probably wouldn't get to it for a while. Well today I picked it up and got to work.
Here is the before:
Here is after (the fabric works beautifully together...the flash makes it look like it doesn't match though):
I still have a few adjustments to make...I want to make it a little shorter...it doesn't need to be that long and I need to make it more narrow. The sides hang a little funny so I'm just going to cut it and put a new seam in. The straps around back are the same fabric as the pockets. Works great don't you think? I'm pretty proud of it.
I'm happy with my sewing machine again....thanks to my friends mom that took one look at my huge problem (that had my brand new machine in the shop nearly right after I bought it), and told me I wasn't winding my bobbin properly. *smacks forehead* That's EXACTLY what was wrong. I haven't had a lick of problems since then. The guy that sold it to me was about to eat the cost of that machine...I was getting tired of dealing with stupid issues. *Note to self* If you are having problems, ask around...show them your problem...there is bound to be SOMEBODY that knows what is wrong....or just call Jackie's mom...rofl




2 comments:
LOVE your apron - it is cute as a button. Darn, I wish I were home to sew with you - I love sewing!
Forgot to say, love the quilt top too. I didn't know anything about the quilting and am quite happy - would never see anything wrong with that. Ever. Best gift ever. Lol... oh, dad would like one in manly prints just a bit longer than mine so his toes don't peek out. On square longer would be nice... and Christmas is just around the corner.
Post a Comment