Why I homeschool
>> Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Why I homeschool
By Stephenie
September 8, 2009
Let me start by saying that I have 2 degrees in education. My first one is in Early Childhood Development and Preschool Management. My second one is in Elementary Education. During the course of getting my second degree, we learned a lot of fun things we could use to teach the children. We learned many different methods and ways to get through to them. It was very inspiring. I could do this! I got to my student teaching…at this point I had spent many many days in the classroom. Our school was a very hands on school. It was great. Student teaching was a different story for me though. I first taught 6th grade. The kids were horrid. We had a pregnant 12 year old in 6th grade. What?? They used more cuss words than I had ever spoken in my entire life. Most of these kids didn’t want to be taught..didn’t want to learn. They made fun of everything and everybody. It was terrible. I don’t remember a single ‘teachable moment’ the whole time I was in 6th grade. I then moved down to 3rd. These kids had a hunger for learning. They were great for the most part. However, it was the system that was not right in my mind at that level. We had to leave so many children in the dust because the pacing chart said we had to move on. It didn’t matter that ¾ of the class didn’t understand the concept. The reading program was a joke and didn’t progress the kids in comprehension or reading at all. The test….that stupid test…that’s all the school was worried about. It wasn’t the teacher’s fault. She was doing as she was told. They had an hour of ‘studying’ for the standardized test every day…and homework that was ‘standardized’ to boot. They started this in August and the test wasn’t until March! The supervising teacher couldn’t teach creatively. She had to follow the books and the plans to the letter. My neighbor actually got written up for being creative and not following the books to the letter….she teaches 2nd grade. That’s sad.
While doing my student teaching, I got pregnant. I graduated but never went back for certification. Truth be told, I think I should have at least gotten certified. It wasn’t to be though. I still planned on teaching *eventually* but after listening to my best friend that is a teacher and several other friends, listening to law changes (No child left behind act..ACK!) and the like, I decided I wanted no part of it.
So it came time to put my daughter in school. She actually went to pre-k 4 in the public school due to necessity. I was working full time and it just worked for us at the time. She loved it. She learned a ton and I was very happy for the most part.
It came time to put her in kindergarten. I couldn’t do it. Why would I want to send my child into an environment that I couldn’t handle working in? One that actually broke my heart on a daily basis? Why would I throw my baby to the wolves? I could see myself becoming one of “those moms” that every teacher hates. Sure, I could volunteer and be involved that way…but is that what I really wanted?
What it ultimately comes down to is standardized testing. I just don’t believe in it the way it is used. It is the be all-end all of our public school system..at least in Louisiana. If it’s not on the test, by golly, we aren’t teaching it. No fun is to be had until after March. I have heard that stated. Really? You want the kids to go from August to March and not have fun? Not cool. This isn’t the teacher’s fault. I think they do an awesome job with what they are given to work with.
If I felt comfortable enough teaching a class of 25…or 30…then why couldn’t I teach my own daughter? What was stopping me? Nothing! That was it. I was homeschooling. My husband was beyond supportive and never questioned the decision. I think he was even a bit excited about it. My family is all very supportive. After the initial questions were answered, everybody was ok with it. I think one of the biggest concerns for most of my family was socialization. I admit I was concerned at first too. NOT A PROBLEM! I think we proved ourselves yesterday at the festival here in town when Raelee met up (sheer coincidence) with several other homeschool families and went from kid to kid and just had a blast. She played with kids from 3 years old on up to 13 years old and didn’t even bat an eye. I think my dad was slightly impressed. Raelee does not have a problem with socialization at all. She even gets to play with her public schooled friends quite often. This year, we are going to have a problem with TOO much socializing in our schedule!
Reasons we keep homeschooling are many. We love the flexibility of it. If we are having an off day, no reason to push on. If we Raelee is really understanding a concept, we can move on rather than wait for her peers to catch up with us. We like going to the zoo and calling it a school day. We like watching a documentary and calling it learning. We love the projects involved. Is there a better way to learn about mummies in Egypt than making a mummified chicken (coming soon!)?
Do I get overwhelmed? Yes, of course I do. I wear a lot of hats…I don’t always wear them well and that’s hard to swallow or handle sometimes. It is hard keeping up the house, bills, cooking, other household chores AND teaching. One hat I do wear well is teacher. It’s my very favorite job. What’s better than spending all day long doing quality things with the one person I love most in the world? I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

3 comments:
You are doing a fantastic job, Steph! And it shows iN Raelee everyday. She is polite and articulate and well-rounded. Love ya!
And you are indeed a great teacher. I am constantly amazed by what you do and how much she is learning. I am super proud of you - she couldn't have a better teacher. Congratulations on finding your perfect job - and for a job well done. Raelee is super smart and you are just making it better :-)
I enjoyed reading about your entrance into the homeschooling world. I think it would be very hard to begin your teaching career in Louisiana. In at least 3 school districts (outside of Louisiana) teachers are still encouraged to match curriculum to individual students, be creative, and do everything they can to make learning fun and meaningful. These school districts believe (even post NCLB) that if students learn on their own terms, then they will pass the standardized tests without a problem. Teaching "to the test" is looked down upon-- rather like dumbing down the curriculum.
That said, I have come to realize that homeschooling is the ultimate in differentiation. You can really modify, enhance, and incorporate real life in much more meaningful and fun ways. It flows with family life so much more smoothly than rushing around to meet someone else's schedule (where a good deal of time is wasted anyway).
A teacher is only as good as the success of her student(s) show(s) her to be. If that is truly the case, then you are definitely an awesome teacher!
Post a Comment