Got bitten
>> Sunday, July 24, 2011
I got bitten by the canning bug. You know that happens when you look at a piece of fruit and wonder what you can turn it into that you eat 4 months from now. It's a neat feeling. I'm just learning...so I'm sure I'm doing plenty wrong, but hey, that's how we learn right? Stephinie over at Gypsyforest has been instrumental in helping me learn this. I know I can call her at the drop of a hat and ask her technical questions. My mom has also been helpful with misc. tidbits of info as well as another friend Jenny. I know my mom will get back into it soon. Maybe by the time I move up there..right?
This week it was peaches. I can still taste the taste of the juicy peach on my lips. mmmmmm. I wish I hadn't canned them all. *sigh*
I canned Lavender Peach Butter first. Let me tell you, if I could blog a smell so that you could smell it, I would. It has my mouth watering thinking about it...and my husband's mouth watering talking about it (he got a quick taste at Gypsyforest's house). Heavenly I tell you. I would have never thought to combine Lavender and Peaches but there you have it. It is a match made in heaven. You must try it.
It blows my mind how much fruit you have to use to get 1 batch. This picture is 2 batches and used about 10 lbs of peaches (pit and skin still in tact). Crazy right? All I got was a measly 11 half pints. Must be stingy with this stuff! Oh, and not that I know first hand or anything...but it is extremely yummy on fresh whole wheat bread with almond butter. Combine with chips and tomato salsa that I made....mmmmm
And only because I don't want Raelee reading this when she's 30 and get upset b/c I didn't include the recipe, here it is. It's out of Ashley English's Canning and Preserving book. Go buy it...I know I will!
Peach and Lavender Butter
3 pounds peaches
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp fresh or dried lavender buds
3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
3 cups granulated sugar
This makes 4 half pints - recipe says it makes 6. In a large pot of boiling water, prepare 4 sterilized jars and lids. Keep the water up to temperature for it's boiling water bath process. In another pot, boil water to blanch the peaches so that they peel easily.
Put the 2 tablespoons of the lavender buds in a small bowl. Take 1/3 cup of your boiling water and pour it over the buds. Cover, and let them steep for 15 minutes. (I didn't do this. I simply threw them in the peach pot after I blended the peaches)
Blanch peaches and when they are cool enough to handle peel, pit and chop roughly.
Strain the lavender buds from the water. Set aside the buds...you'll add them in later. Combine the lavender water, peaches, and 3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice in a heavy stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the peach mixture thickens and clings to a spoon. Remove from the heat. Once the peach mixture has cooled slightly, either press it through a food mill or fine meshed sieve, or puree using a food processor or immersion blender.
If you did not use and immersion blender, return the puree to the pan, add the sugar and lavender buds, and bring it up to a gentle boil over medium heat.
Stir continuously until the sugar is completely dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Place the sterilized jars on top of a kitchen cloth on the counter. With the help of a canning funnel, pack peach butter into the jars, reserving 1/2 inch of headspace. Use a nonmetallic spatula to remove any trapped air bubbles, and wipe the rims clean with a damp cloth. Place on the lids and screw bands, tightening only until fingertip-tight.
Using a jar lifter, place the jars in the canner (Boiling water bath). Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
I peeled too many peaches. I should have saved that last 7 for us to snack on, but I didn't. I really really wish our Ruston Peach contact wasn't so far away...and only on Friday's. They used to sell them locally on the side of the road but I haven't seen them in 2 years. :( The Georgia peaches or Alabama peaches just aren't as good.
So..what did I do with my peaches that lay naked? I made Peach Salsa. It's not something I'll likely eat, but I think Todd will love it. If not, I'll tweak it and try again someday. He likes stuff like that though.
Recipe here: (from Rachel over at Edible Communities)



4 comments:
So awesome, Steph! You are doing a great job and I wanted to let you know that Dad loved, loved, LOVED your strawberry preserves from Christmas. I did, as well, but he was stingy with them! LMAO No seriously though, they were awesome as well and he DID conserve them and use them sparingly!
Oh! And I thought the same thing re: the Peach Lavender Butter, but I will go one step further, who on earth decided, "Hey, I wonder if this very aromatic herb used in sachet's would taste good in peach butter? I think I will try it!" LMAO
I love canning, though I have only limited experience doing it. I have canned acidic fruits and some pickles. I was disappointed in the pickles though - they were soggy, not crunchy. Not sure why and never did figure it out. I tried though. I am so glad you love canning - we can learn together and you can share what you have learned with me when you move up here. WHOOT! I cannot believe I read that! Love ya, love ya!
PS: The peach lavender butter sounds heavenly, but I guess since it produced so little I will have to make my own. Oh well, it gives me something to look forward to.
Post a Comment