Math
>> Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Since this is a Homeschool blog, I figured I should blog about homeschool once in a while..lol
So I have known for a while that Raelee is fairly good at Math...well, most math. She is good at anything but adding and subtracting. She HATES that stuff. Give her ANYTHING else and she flies through it. Get to the adding and/or subtracting and my child comes to a screeching halt. I have been in the search for things to make it easier and more fun for her.
Enter my friend Jackie. She uses the Montessori method for most homeschool stuff. I am always intrigued by it and would love to take a workshop on it eventually. She is great at giving me (and a few friends) little mini lessons though.
Raelee is now using the Stamp Game (Montessori method) to add with carrying. She started it today. I dreaded adding with carrying with her. I just didn't know how to explain it. Jackie gave me a few lessons, and loaned me the tools I needed (I am buying it from the above link today) to teach it to her. I gave her easy problems first...you know...35 + 48. After showing her a few times, she breezed right through it with only a few mistakes (usually counting the tiles wrong). When she got through her 6 problems, she wanted another 6 problems..."but this time mommy, I need all of the boxes filled up." Meaning, she wanted to add into the thousands. I gave her 'harder' problems. I gave her something like 2,369 + 1, 972. She did those....and did them with a smile. That's the big thing...it made it fun for her. It really did make it a game. She loved doing the exchanges and using the zero holder. She was upset when she didn't have to exchange. I am amazed. The best part is that you can use this one box of 'stamps' in all of the processes for math. I already set up some subtraction problems that she will do in a few minutes.
Let's hope this holds out!
As for remembering her math facts...yes...that's another problem obviously. Jackie..once again..suggested Two plus two is not five.
She doesn't LOVE this, but it is working. I assign one page of this for 'homework'. That way she has some time to let her brain rest and I can do a timed page with her (usually 5 minutes). Her biggest problem with this is that the addition and subtraction is mixed. I am having problems getting her to look at the sign before she answers. The only ones she gets wrong, it is because she didn't look at the sign first. I'm sure it'll come with time! We also use flashcards and that's working great too...she enjoys the competition (against herself).
Here are a few pictures of the stamp game. Once she speeds up a bit, I'll do a video of it so that you guys can see how it works.
Oh, and yes, she is wearing play make-up. She's into that these days.
And...she did all of these problems with a smile and asked for more. I cut her off at 2 sheets of them. Don't want her burning out!




2 comments:
Hoooooooray!!!!
Awww, I cannot wait to see how it works. I am glad she loves math. She is so darned smart! Love seeing her in 'action'.
Post a Comment