All about Native Americans

>> Monday, August 16, 2010

In My Father's World, we are learning all about Native Americans (We can't call them Indians anymore can we?), their regions, what they eat, etc. Raelee asked Kaya to join us today while we read about her 'kin'.  Notice something funny about Kaya? Yes, she is a Native American, wearing a traditional.....Asian dress.


We invited friends over today (Gypsymama and crew) to help us to build a wigwam out of mud and sticks.  It was a fun activity and even more fun with friends. I'm not good at doing this sort of thing with just Raelee and I. I don't have much patience for it.  Add 2 more kids and I was perfect....oh wait..the extra set of Mommy hands probably helped make it more enjoyable..lol

We started with a bowl and saran wrap.  Added flower, water and mud (no specific numbers here...you just have to eye it..and when you think you have it, add more...of whatever...cause it's not right...we kept adding and reducing the 3 ingredients for a while till we got the right consistency).

Of course the girls had a blast with it. Who wouldn't?


Spread the gooey mixture over your saran covered bowl until it is a smooth texture.  This where lots of mommy help comes in. It's hard to get an even layer over everything. It likes to slide down the bowl.

While you are waiting, you should juggle with a ball of mud.


Make a hole for the smoke to escape (because you know the littlest pet shop and the polly pockets will be building camp fires in it), and make a door. 


 Add sticks, grass and leaves. That's what the Native Americans used to help insulate the wigwam...that and animal hides, but I didn't think Buster and Goofy wanted to participate in this project THAT bad.
 


Enjoy the finished project! (let dry for several days then remove from the bowl. Raelee is anticipating using this as a polly pocket house. We shall see how that goes!

We are supposed to build a tee-pee tomorrow. I think we'll wait until Daddy gets home to do that!

3 comments:

Stephinie,  August 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

Fun pictures.... thanks again....

cajunsis,  August 18, 2010 at 1:01 AM  

Fun project! There is an Indian Village in Talequah Oklahoma called the Tsa-La-Ghi that would be a perfect place to take her. Guess that is too far for a field trip isn't it? http://www.cherokeeheritage.org/

Glad you didn't make Goofy and Buster share ;-)

Jennifer,  August 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I just found your blog from a post on TWTM, clicked on it, and realized that we're using the same curriculum and are also in the same week! I love the way you did your wigwams - looks like lots of fun! And your comment about Goofy and Buster had me rolling! Great blog - I look forward to following!

Jennifer from trainingthemup.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP