Soap Challenge #2~Elemental Swirl
>> Saturday, April 6, 2013
Amy over at Great Cakes Soap Works challenged us to make an Elemental Swirl Soap. I really didn't have a plan for this one at all and maybe that was part of my problem. I used a scent I have used before called "Storm Warning". I thought it didn't accelerate trace but that's what I get for not taking good notes the first time. The other problem I had was that I used Sweet Almond Oil in it rather than Castor Oil (the containers look similar). This batch is a bit crumbly, but not overly so, and it's not lye heavy. I THINK it'll be ok in the long run but time will tell. So my mom and I started making the soap and added the scent and it accelerated pretty fast. I quickly switched gears and went for a layered look instead. I think it turned out beautifully!! It's not an Elemental Swirl though. *sigh* That soap took forever to make and I had to start ALL over again!! Here is the picture from that one:
So then, determined to get it right, I tried a different scent combo. I tried Eucalyptus and 5x Orange. Amy had made the scent combo at our workshop and I loved it! It's so fresh and clean. For those that like Eucalyptus, I think you'll love this one.
This Elemental Swirl worked out much much better than last time. I wish the top was swirled more but it was very very thin and when I spooned it out to lay on the first layer, it mixed some more. The white part on the top is from the bottom of the bowl not getting mixed well. I also added Sweet Almond Oil rather than Castor Oil but in THIS soap, I tried to fix it. I ended up with a softer soap than normal but hopefully, it'll cure out well. I think it turned out very pretty over all and maybe..just maybe, I'll try this method again.
All colors are from the Conservatorie...which I'm in love with and will be getting more of!!
You can find my soaps at Cypress Scents and on facebook at Cypress Scents on Facebook





11 comments:
Wow, your soaps are so lovely colored!
Good for you for giving it another shot! Now you have 2 beautiful soaps to show for it!
I couldn't complete this challenge, so I give you kudos for doing it twice !! Both are beautiful - your color choices/combinations are right on.
I love your soap! I am waiting my for my micas from the conservatory too! I cant wait to get them!
Beautiful colors!!!
Pretty colors and I love the Conservatorie micas as well!
Such a pretty soap!
Live & learn - that first soap is still stunning! Glad you used my scent blend on the second one - colors turned out perfect too!
That sounds like a tantalizing scent combo.. may have to try that! I love your colors- they look Christmas-ey on my screen
Both of these turned out gorgeous. I love love love the colors and layers in the first one. Awesome save. Beautiful technique on the second one. It's perfect.
Very pretty combination of colours, lovely x Linda
Post a Comment