We have been hearing all about this 'wintery mix' stuff but since we moved here, it has avoided us for the most part. Well last night, it hit us dead on. It rained pretty good most of the afternoon and the temperature kept steadily dropping. I knew when it hit 30º at 4 pm, it was going to be an icy night. I was right. It continued to rain well into the night...it dipped down into the 20's and then things started collecting icicles. I ran out to get pics of them at night but then I remembered that it wasn't likely going to melt off in the morning so I ran back into the warm house. It never broke 32º today, I don't think. The sun hit the ice at times and melted it a teeny tiny little bit..enough to send icicles falling from signs and nearly on top of our heads in parking lots. New hazards to look out for in my new environment..lol
Here are some pictures of our icy day.
 |
| At some point last night, it started sleeting. I thought this was snow, but nope..it's teeny tiny little ice balls. |
 |
| The chickens were NOT amused. Only 2 came out to enjoy their hot oatmeal that I made them. |
 |
| I ended up having to feed the others in the coop...where the heater is..lol |
 |
| Raelee has been eating icicles off of random things all day long. I try not to think about what she's really ingesting..lol |
 |
| Little bitty icicles on the chicken coop this morning. |
 |
| They turned into long icicles this afternoon when the water melted just enough to let it drip down to make them longer. |
 |
| I thought mom's bird feeder looked cool |
 |
| Even the snowman bird feeder had a cold drippy nose ;) |
 |
| Sleet collected on my van. |
 |
| My entire van was covered in a good layer of ice. My doors were iced shut even. |
 |
| Despite the 20º temps, everybody but me went out to play on the 4 wheelers . I guess riding on icy grass is fun. I was content to say that I just had surgery and being on a 4 wheeler wasn't good for me. Yeah...that...rofl |
 |
| Looks like snow doesn't it? |
In the meantime, we went to the local farm store and stocked up on seeds for the spring. I don't even have a house yet, but I sure do have $75 worth of veggie and flower seeds now...rofl You can see what we are dreaming of...the warmer abundant spring season!
I went into Tulsa and paid $50 for a library card. It is well worth it...there hasn't been a book yet that I haven't been able to find. You can see what I'm dreaming about lately. I have found that homesteading books have much better tips on large scale gardening than regular gardening books. Not to mention, they come full of recipes that use what you have grown, recipes for breads, yogurt, etc. So far, my favorite book there is
The Backyard Homestead. I will certainly be purchasing this book. :)
Our house should close in a week and a half. We have flooring to purchase and install before we can move in. That's about all I will wait for. Everything else can wait until we get in the house. :) We are getting super excited. I'll post pictures as soon as it's a done deal.
On another note, we have had some pretty terrible losses in our family in the last week and a half. I can't bear to talk about them really, but you can read about them on my mom's blog:
1 comments:
Playing in the ice was a blast! You should have rode 4-wheelers and gone across the creek to take pictures, you would have had even more cool pics to share! Love that you are blogging again!
Post a Comment