Even though we have at least 1 more festival to attend this month, I had to prove that not all of our school comes from local festivals..lol
This week, Raelee learned about different materials that soak up water...and ones that do not soak up water.
 |
| A plastic bag does not soak up water! |
 |
| Muslin does soak up water. :) |
 |
| She also learned what paper materials (tissue paper, paper towels, napkins, toilet paper) was the strongest. The paper towel was the strongest, but even with that information, she was determined to get the marble to drop! |
 |
| And drop it did. |
 |
| Raelee asked me if she could start learning cursive. I was a bit hesitant to start it (her handwriting on a good day is less than stellar). But she is really doing better than I expected. We have some pencil grip issues to work on, but I'm impressed so far. |
She is learning about George Washington, Paul Revere, and the Boston Tea party for the last 3 weeks. It was supposed to last only a week, but...well...we drug it out..lol
We also learned about the song "Yankee Doodle". I learned something about this song that I thought was neat. When it says "Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni", they aren't talking about the noodle kind. I didn't know that a Macaroni was a fashionable person in the 1800's. The song implies that the Yankee's thought that sticking a feather in their hats would make them fashionable. I thought that was neat!
More information on Macaroni in the 1800's.
Another thing in the song that we found out about was hasty pudding. "Thick as hasty pudding." We had to find out what hasty pudding was! It was made with milk, salt and corn meal. It is called hasty pudding because it could be made very quickly. It was also versatile. They added maple syrup to make it a breakfast meal. Many things could be added to it to make it a bit different every time.
The first time Raelee ate it, she ate half a bowl and thought it was good. She did NOT like the syrup in it though. What's funny here though, is that my camera messed up and I could not upload any of the pictures. I had to cook hasty pudding twice and make her eat it. My camera was STILL not working, so she had to 'eat' it for a 3rd time. By the 3rd time eating it, she was done...wanted no more hasty pudding. I couldn't blame her (I couldn't even bring myself to try it!!)
 |
| This is the face of a girl who likes hasty pudding right? LOL She DOES like the Trihorn hat that she made though. |
 |
| And for P.E. I got her a hula hoop. In the 2 days she has had it, she has become quite good at hula hooping! I'm proud of her! |
|
|
 |
| She started working on Subtracting with borrowing. With the Montessori Stamp Game, it's breeze to teach. By next week, she'll be doing it without manipulative I'm sure. |
 |
| P.E. mixed with snack time. Yes, that's my daughter eating a pumpkin pie, right out of the pie tin. Buster watches over her just waiting for a bite to hit the ground. |
 |
| Spelling is going well. We are using AAS and at the end of book 1. She's doing really well on her tests. (Note the spelling of the word drink.) |
 |
| We might have to work at the real life application though...lol Follow the arrow. This was 2 days later. Don't mind the other misspellings on this 'menu'. One thing at a time. |
 |
| Raelee asked me if she could write a story about her adventures. We started with Singapore. We went through the whole writing process (rough draft, revising, final copy). We were trying to figure out how to decorate it when my mom came in with a box of origami that a friend of ours from Singapore made Raelee. PERFECT! She is very proud of her story. |
 |
| Here is her story up close. :) |
1 comments:
I cannot believe the improvement in her handwriting skills! She is doing wonderful! Love seeing everything you are doing with her - and she is so fun to watch grasping everything. She is like a sponge. Great job! Now let's go to a festival! I have yet to go to one!
Post a Comment