Destrehan Heritage Festival

>> Thursday, November 4, 2010

Probably seems like all we do here in South Louisiana is go to festivals huh? In October and November, it feels that way too. There are always so many great ones to attend...same with April.  This one was neat. It was the Destrehan Heritage Festival.  It was on a weekday and strictly for school aged kids.  We went with some close friends of ours. The girls had a blast. I only wish we had longer to enjoy it. We rushed through it. I thought it went later in the day than it did.  Oh well, we know for next time.

The best thing about this festival was that it completely re-enforced what we have been learning about. We have been learning about colonial times, the things they ate, the games they played, and how they survived.  We have also been reading "Little Town on a Prairie". They talked about a lot of things in that book that Raelee has never experienced (of course..lol). This drove it all home for her though. I was able to tell her "remember when we read about that..well, this is what they were talking about."  What a neat thing for me to be able to show her!!

Here are some pictures from our day:



The day before this, we had read about games that the children played. One of them was playing hoops. Neither one of us knew what that was.  What a nice surprise that they had this game there!  It was fun for her to be able to give this (very hard game) a try!

We also read about how they cleaned their rugs (no vacuum cleaner back then!)  She got to try it. She liked doing it, but I think that it would get old quick..lol

Feeling all of the materials that beds and pillow's were made of.

They had an animal exhibit there...of course my daughter had to pet the creepy crawlies.

But MY daughter wasn't the only kiddo that was infatuated with the reptiles. This is my friends little 2 year old. She loved the alligator (probably too much..rofl)

Grinding corn...yep...we read about this too! I was thrilled to be able to show her all of this!

This was not a nice lady that not so kindle demo'd how to spin yarn. I'm fascinated with spinning and love watching it.

This was my favorite exhibit. It was antique irons. I had no idea the history behind irons. Some were even gasoline powered! It was very neat to hear the history behind them.

Daddy would be proud that Raelee drilled a hole with a hand drill.

We even learned about child slave labor...we took the hands on approach with this one....
Which is how I ended up with a bag of yummy pecans. :)


2 comments:

cajunsis,  November 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

Banana nut bread call, start peeling those pecans! Looks like a festival I would have loved. So glad you were able to share it with punkin. Looks like you had a great time!

Jennifer,  November 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

What a great experience to add to your Adventures year! And yes, it DOES seem like all you do is go to Festivals, and I'm not too proud to admit that it makes me a little jealous! ;)

Looks like y'all had a great time!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Page counter

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP